International Journal of Sports Science and Coaching
Judospace Educational Institute Chief Executive, Dr Mike Callan has recently been invited to become a member of the editorial board of the International Journal of Sport Science and Coaching (IJSCC); an international, peer reviewed journal that was first founded in 2006 by Dr Simon Jenkins.
Dr Jenkins, the editor-in- chief, describes the aim of the IJSCC to be “to bridge the gap between sport science and coaching.” This aim is shared by Dr Callan, who has a passion for improving the standard of coaching within the judo community.
This shared belief regarding the importance of the knowledge gained within the sport science industry and its application within the coaching environment makes this an ideal collaboration.
Dr Callan will work alongside a board of editors including both scientists and coaches. In doing so he will be contributing to the peer review of research articles that aim to impact the work of coaches and their athletes. Other Editorial Board members include:
- Keith Lyons, the former Head of the Department of Biomechanics and Performance Analysis at the Australian Institute of Sport.
- Dr. Tim Noakes, Discovery Health Professor of Exercise and Sports Science at the University of Cape Town (UCT) and the Director of the Medical Research Council (MRC) / UCT research unit for exercise science and sports medicine at the Sports Science Institute of South Africa.
- Dr. Ray Stefani, emeritus professor of Engineering at the California State University, Long Beach, USA.
- Dr. Mehis Viru, docent in the University of Tartu and Head of the Institute of Sport Pedagogy and Coaching Sciences. Estonia
- Dr. David Mann, Research Fellow in the Faculty of Human Movement Sciences at Vrije University in Amsterdam,
- Harvey Newton, author of Explosive Lifting for Sports (2002) and the 1984 USA Olympic Team coach for weightlifting.
- Dr. Juri Hanin, Professor of Social & Sport Psychology, KIHU-Research Institute for Olympic Sports, Jyvaskyla, Finland
- Dr. Michael Chia, Professor of Paediatric Exercise Physiology and the Dean for Faculty Affairs at the National Institute of Education in Singapore.
Dr Callan is President of the International Association of Judo Researchers and Director of the Judo Research Group based at Anglia Ruskin University, Cambridge, UK. In addition he has a wealth of experience in coach education and he looks forward to further contributing to the development of sports science and coaching research.
Dr Simon Jenkins said “We are pleased to invite Dr Callan onto the Editorial Board. His experience and expertise will help us in our mission to bridge the gap between sports science and coaching.”
Vist the Journal website: http://www.multi-science.co.uk/sports-science&coaching.htm
Dr Simon Jenkins